Have I got a good, original recipe for you! Too lazy to get my butt over to the grocery store but wanting to eat something yummy, I took stock of the fridge and pantry today.
Hmmm …. what is in the fridge and pantry? We’ve got a head of cabbage, some Brussels sprouts, a few eggs and a small package of ground turkey in the fridge. The pantry had a can of bean sprouts and a can of water chestnuts. This screams something Asian to me. I Googled “how to make egg rolls” – well this isn’t exactly it, but it will do. I followed the egg roll filling recipe for seasonings and then just used what I had on hand, hence the title.
Yep, I do need to go shopping, but this will tide us over for a couple days and it turned out to be delicious! Plus, it’s all healthy, good stuff, so YUM!
Egg Roll in a Bowl-sort of
NOTE: This would still be good (and more like egg roll filling) without the bean sprouts and water chestnuts, but I wanted to double up on the veggies.
– a drizzle of avocado oil to brown the turkey
– about 1/2 lb ground turkey
– 2 large eggs, beaten
– 1 head cabbage, shredded
– 2 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
– 1 sml can bean sprouts, chopped into shorter pieces
– 1 sml can sliced water chestnuts, halved
– 2 tbsp minced garlic
– 2 tsp ground ginger
– 2 tsp dried scallions
– 1/4 cup Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
– 2 tsp sriracha sauce
salt and pepper to taste
optional: sesame seeds and hot pepper flakes if you have them
1. Drizzle a couple spoons of avocado oil in a large skillet and brown the ground turkey. (I use the oil because turkey has very little fat to brown it)
2. Add all ingredients except the egg and cook until the cabbage has wilted down and the Brussels sprouts are cooked to your taste. You can add a little water if you need to cook the veggies down.
3. Push the veggie mix to the sides of the skillet makeing a hole in the center of the mixture. Pour the egg into the skillet and cook like you are making scrambled eggs.
4. Season to taste. I added some liquid aminos to my bowl, but be careful. Like soy sauce, you can make it too strong tasting. Top your bowl with dried pepper flakes and sesame seeds if you have them on hand.