More on the Victoria’s Farmhouse dollhouse build:
The kit is arranged for a flat roof on the dining room bump-out on the front of the farmhouse. I kept looking at it like something was wrong. Why a flat roof? It’s not like I can make a little porch or balcony with only windows above.
Finally, I decided to make a half hip roof. I don’t know if that would be the right term, but this looks like one half of a hip roof, so that’s what I’m calling it. I had absolutely no idea of how to construct a pattern except by eye-balling it. I started with a piece of scrap chip-board for the front. I cut it to about the height, width and angles that I thought would work. Hey, It’s not mathematical, but it’s a start. LOL
Next I cut a side to dry fit. It was a little off as you can see in the picture below. I used masking tape to tape the pieces in place as it looked like it should be. Notice the gaps. I kept those so that, when I laid out my pattern, I could cut appropriately.
Next, I dry fit the roof into place. When I was happy with the size, angles and shape, I cut my final roof out of mat-board. I used E-6000 to glue the roof into place.
Notice the start on my block foundation in the picture above. The next post will be all about how to make those blocks. I hope that you will join me then.