Bagels on Keto? YES! One of the reasons that I presumed that Keto may not be for me was that I LOVE chips, crackers and bread. Well, it turns out that after three weeks on the diet, I actually do not miss carbs like I thought that I would. There are plenty of recipes in books, magazines and the bazillions of internet blogs on the subject that would keep anyone satisfied for a long time without even any repeats of dishes.
Browsing through one of the Delish magazines I saw a recipe for Keto Everything bagels. Realy? Bagels? Wonder what those taste like because I do like a bagel sandwich. hmmm….
I already had the ingredients to make Keto bagels., so why not? It turned out that I did not have enough mozzarella, but I had shredded cheddar to make up the difference. I did not have “Everything” seasoning so I decided to use what I had and make cheesy jalapeno bagels. Believe me, they are delicious with just cream cheese and they also make great sandwiches.
Kick-ass Keto bagels
The original recipe that I got from Delish was for Everything bagels. I did not have any seasoning for those so I opted to add diced jalapenos to my mix. The peppers are optional, of course.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 2 large eggs for baking
- 2 tbsp. finely diced jalapenos
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for the bagel top
- also for the topping I used sesame seeds, flax seeds, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and a little salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl whisk the flour and baking powder together until thoroughly combined.
3. In a microwave safe bowl add all of the cream cheese and shredded cheese. Microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and combined. Approximately 2 minutes total.
4. Scrape the cheese mixture into the flour and add two eggs. Mix until well combined. It’s kind of hard to get the flour mixture to join the cheese mixture so WORK IT baby!
5. Divide the dough into 6-8 portions depending on the size bagel that you want. Roll the dough into balls and press your finger into the center to make a hole.
Not surprisingly, the bagels do flatten out a little in baking, filling the little hole up. So, make your bagels thick and with a really large hole if you want them to look like the bagels that you know and love. I did not, as you can see, but next time…
6. Arrange bagels on the parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with the lightly beaten egg. Sprinkle on whatever seasoning that you like.
7. Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes or until browned the way you like. Let cool 10 minutes and serve.
Store in an airtight container for 7-10 days depending on heat and moisture where you live.
After I baked the bagels, I realized that they would have been cuter to also sprinkle some shredded cheddar on the top of each. Oh well, next time. As for texture, they are not the doughy bagel texture that you may be use to. It is kind of more like the texture of cornbread which is fine with me. Next time I am going to make them with half almond meal because I like a heartier type of bread with lots of texture.
Make no mistake, the Keto diet is all about high fat, low carb and even lower sugar. Actually, NO sugar except as little naturally occurring sugars as possible. These bagels alone have 28 grams of saturated fat and then when you add on cream cheese and sour cream plus the salmon….well, if you are looking for low fat diet food, this isn’t it.
I am happy to report that I have been following this Keto diet for about three weeks now and the weight is dropping off pretty fast. I have been lazy about counting calories and I do eat to satiety so it is working for me. I’m perfectly happy without my high carb processed foods now that my taste buds have changed.
Tomorrow morning Les and I will enjoy a bagel breakfast sandwich made with fried egg, ham, cheese and avocado. Just think of all the possibilities. I hope that you try these (but only if you are on a high fat diet) and enjoy.