Today, I micro-waved several sweet potatoes and was thinking wistfully, “Man! I would LOVE a sweet potato pie!” But all of those calories and sugar of a traditional pie would not love me back, that’s for sure. Then I figured that I should try to make a version of the filling that tastes good and is actually good for you. It turned out beautifully if I may say so myself.
Sweet Potato Pie Stand-in
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons sun butter (or raw cashew butter)
- about 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp Stevia
- 1 tsp cinamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- garnish with nut/fruit mixture
- Microwave sweet potatoes for 8 -10 minutes until soft. Let cool, peel and cut into cubes.
- Put all ingredients except trail mix into the food processor and whirl until smooth and creamy.
- Put nut/fruit trail mix into a small bowl along with a little maple syrup. Microwave for about 20 seconds and top the sweet potato desert. The syrup makes the fruit look a little plump and glazed. It’s really pretty and makes a nice addition to the pie filling.